About This Drug
Sodium Bicarbonate is an alkalizer. It is used to decrease acidity in your blood/urine. It is given in the vein (IV) or by mouth (orally).
Possible Side Effects
- An increase of sodium bicarbonate in your body can sometimes cause muscle twitching, hand tremor, muscle spasms, and irritability.
- Increase in sodium (salt) in your body </li?skin>
Note: Not all possible side effects are included above.
Warnings and Precautions
- Swelling of your legs, ankles and/or feet
- Trouble breathing because of fluid build-up in your lungs
How to Take Your Medication
- For oral only: Take this drug by mouth without food, at least 1 - 3 hours after you eat.
- Missed dose: If you miss a dose, do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
Food and Drug InteractionsL
There are no known interactions of sodium bicarbonate with food, however this medication should be taken on an empty stomach.
This drug may interact with other medicines. Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all the medicines and dietary supplements (vitamins, minerals, herbs and others) that you are taking at this time.
When to Call the Doctor
Call your doctor or nurse if you have any of these symptoms and/or any new or unusual symptoms:
- While you are getting this drug, please tell your nurse right away if you have any pain, redness, or swelling at the site of the IV infusion
- Muscle twitching, spasms
- Hand tremors
- Irritability and/or confusion
- Weight gain of 5 pounds in one week (fluid retention)
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
- Pain in your chest
- If you think you may be pregnant
- Pregnancy warning: It is not known if this drug may harm an unborn child. For this reason, be sure to talk with your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant while receiving this drug. Let your doctor know right away if you think you may be pregnant.
- Breast feeding warning: It is not known if this drug passes into breast milk. For this reason, women should talk to their doctor about the risks and benefits of breast feeding during treatment with this drug because this drug may enter the breast milk and cause harm to a breast feeding baby.
- Fertility warning: This drug is not expected to affect your ability to have children in the future. Human fertility studies have not been done with this drug.