Blood Cancer Care at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center
Mario Lemieux Center for Blood Cancers
The Mario Lemieux Center for Blood Cancers offers personalized outpatient treatment for complex hematologic malignancies. The patient-friendly center also provides easier access to the latest blood cancer therapies and clinical trials.
Learn about the Lemieux Center for Blood Cancers.
UPMC CancerCenter offers patients access to the latest advances in cancer prevention, detection, diagnosis, and treatment through cancer clinical trials.
Find clinical trials for blood cancer.
Doctors diagnose about 150,000 people with blood cancer each year in the United States.
Many subtypes of blood-based cancers exist, so a precise diagnosis is crucial to ensure the best approach to treatment.
The blood cancer experts at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center take a multidisciplinary approach to diagnosis and treatment, which may include:
We also offer specialized outpatient care through the Mario Lemieux Center for Blood Cancers. We designed this state-of-the-art center with patient comfort in mind.
What Is Blood Cancer?
Blood cancer often begins in the bone marrow.
Bone marrow contains stem cells that form into:
- Red blood cells.
- White blood cells.
Cancer begins with uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. This growth prevents blood cells from carrying out their normal functions, like fighting infections or clotting.
Blood Cancer Symptoms and Signs
Blood cancers differ in:
- The types of cells they affect.
- How quickly they develop.
- How far into the body they spread.
Although each type of blood cancer is different, they can share some common symptoms and signs.
Some people may not have any symptoms until the disease is advanced. Or, they may mistake symptoms for a severe cold or flu.
Some common blood cancer symptoms include:
- Coughing or chest pain
- Fever or chills
- Frequent infections
- Itchy skin or rash
- Loss of appetite or nausea
- Night sweats
- Persistent weakness and fatigue
- Shortness of breath
- Swollen, painless lymph nodes in the neck, armpits, or groin
Why Choose UPMC for Blood Cancer Care?
At UPMC Hillman Cancer Center, our:
- Highly skilled doctors and pathologists can diagnose blood diseases carefully and quickly.
- Medical, surgical, and radiation oncologists work closely with transplant specialists to treat you all the way through recovery.
- Support services for blood cancer patients and families can help with the physical and emotional burdens of cancer treatment and beyond.
Contact us about blood cancer care
Contact UPMC Hillman Cancer Center about blood cancer care by calling 412-647-2811.
To reach the Mario Lemieux Center for Blood Cancers at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center, call 412-864-6600.