About Social Work Services
UPMC Hillman Cancer Center Social Work Services provide:
- Patient, family, and group counseling
- Cancer education
- Case management
- Program development
- Discharge planning
Support Through All Phases of Cancer
We provide social work support to patients and their loved ones throughout all phases of cancer, including:
- Cancer treatment
- Terminal care
These social work services help cancer patients:
- Cope with their illness.
- Access community resources to support optimal functioning.
- Enhance their usage of the health care system.
UPMC Hillman Cancer Center Social Work Programs and Services
Oncology social workers provide the following clinical and program-related services:
- Psychosocial assessment of patients' and families' responses to the cancer diagnosis.
- Treatment plan based on shared goals of patients and their loved ones.
- Use of high-risk screening criteria for case-finding and outreach programs.
- A range of clinical methods to address current or future problems as the patient's medical and psychosocial needs evolve.
- Advocacy for protecting patients' dignity, privacy, rights, and access to care.
- Knowledge of community resources and government programs from local and national health and welfare agencies.
- Organization and access to patient and family education and cancer support groups.
- Collaboration with health experts in other fields to plan and provide programs to cancer patients and their loved ones.
The focus of care may relate to:
- Adjusting to changes in self-image and sexuality.
- Adjusting to the emotional impact of a cancer diagnosis.
- Talking with children about cancer.
- Coping with grief and loss.
- Coping with chronic illness.
- Learning to negotiate the complex health care system.
- Managing financial and insurance concerns.
- Planning for care after hospitalization.
- Realigning family roles.
- Returning to the workplace.
- Managing stress.
Community Social Work Services and Programs
Other social work duties and activities outside the realm of direct patient care include:
- Providing cancer education and guidance to other health care fields, students, and volunteers.
- Coordinating and presenting professional and community education programs.
- Designing and conducting quality improvement studies.
- Serving as consultants to both local and national organizations.
- Providing consultation and volunteer services to voluntary health organizations and community agencies.
Contact UPMC Hillman Cancer Center Social Work Services
Call 412-623-4000 to speak with a social worker.
5230 Centre Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15232