Resources for the UPMC Moving Through Cancer Program
The UPMC Moving Through Cancer Program provides this listing as a resource for UPMC Hillman Cancer Center patients. The list does not imply endorsement.
Talk to your health care team before beginning any exercise program.
- Moving Through Cancer. Based on the book by Kathryn Schmitz, PhD, this website provides content on:
- How physical activity can help your overall health during cancer treatment.
- Proper protein intake.
- Good sleep habits.
- Logging how you feel through and beyond treatment.
- Specific information for numerous types of cancer.
- And more.
- UPMC Prescription for Wellness. This innovative health coaching and feedback program that your doctor can prescribe:
- Connects you with board-certified health coaches from UPMC Health Plan.
- Helps you form healthy behaviors and manage cancer or other chronic diseases.
- Is free for eligible UPMC Health Plan members.
- 2unstoppable®. Founded by two women who had breast cancer, this site:
- Supports and inspires women with breast cancer to be active.
- Helps you find the right fitness partner.
- Has various online activity programs, classes, and challenges.
- FitSteps for Life®. This non-profit program has a robust exercise video library for people with cancer that focuses on:
- Upper, lower, and full body.
- Strength & Courage: Exercises for Breast Cancer Survivors. Find exercises to help regain upper body strength and flexibility after breast cancer surgery or treatment. Other sections address aerobic work outs and exercising with lymphedema.
In-person Cancer Wellness Resources
- The Wellness and Integrative Oncology Program. This program at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center uses movement, touch, nutrition, and mindfulness to address cancer symptoms and quality of life. We offer yoga, massage, acupuncture, meditation, and cooking classes.
- Cancer Bridges. This nonprofit in Pittsburgh, Pa., offers free programs and services for all people impacted by cancer, such as:
- Counseling and support groups.
- Nutrition, yoga, and other health and wellness activities.
- Social events.
- Face2Face Healing. Based in Pittsburgh, Face2Face Healing offers emotional and physical support for people dealing with cancer or facial disfigurement.
- Lending Hearts. This nonprofit provides free, unique cancer wellness programs with a special focus on kids and young adults. and comprehensive services. Age-appropriate programs provide social, emotional, and physical support for people with cancer and their families during their full journey.
- Pittsburgh Hearts of Steel. This support group aims to empower all breast cancer survivors through friendship and activities such as dragon boat paddling.
- Pittsburgh Pink Steel City Dragons is the breast cancer survivor dragon boat racing team. The Steel City Dragons welcomes all people regardless of athletic ability or size.
- Cancer Wellness Program at MVHealthplex. MVH Health Care in Rostraver, Pa., offers a four-week program for people whose cancer is in remission. The program features exercise and lifestyle changes geared toward reducing fatigue, restoring range of motion, and improving quality of life.
Contact the UPMC Moving Through Cancer Program
UPMC Hillman Cancer Center
5115 Centre Ave., 2nd Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15232