Nutrition Services for Cancer Patients
UPMC Hillman Cancer Center offers many options to learn more about your nutritional health during cancer treatment.
Nutritional Services is staffed by registered, licensed dietitians with a focus in nutrition oncology. The majority of the dietitians at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center are board-certified in oncology nutrition through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Nutritional services are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Patients and family members can be seen in the treatment area, during clinic visits with the oncologist, or through a private consultation. All consultations are complementary.
Meeting Your Nutrition Needs During Cancer Treatment
The dietitians (licensed nutritionists) can meet with you and your family on a variety of nutrition topics, including:
- Managing eating problems and symptoms related to your surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation, such as weight loss and appetite issues.
- Safe food handling and preparation.
- Nutrition education and guidance on various diets, including the plant-based diet from the American Institute for Cancer Research.
- Review and analyze current intake to better formulate eating strategies to meet vitamin and mineral needs through diet.
- Assistance with specialized feeding treatments (tube feedings).
- Managing unintended weight loss or gain through lifestyle nutrition tips for cancer survivors.
- List of resources such as cookbooks, cooking classes, blogs, home-delivered meals, and other programs in the community.
Contact Cancer Nutrition Services
UPMC Hillman Cancer Center
Mary Hillman Jennings Radiation Oncology Center at UPMC Shadyside
Talk with your oncologist or oncology nurse for more information.