What Is Sarcoma?
Sarcoma is a type of cancer that starts in the connective tissue of the body.
- Blood vessels
Sarcoma can start in any place in the body, and there are more than 50 distinct types depending on the tissue involved.
Sarcomas are rare in adults, making up about 1% of cancers. But they make up about 15% of childhood cancers.
What Types of Sarcoma Does UPMC Hillman Cancer Center Treat?
When you come to UPMC Hillman Cancer Center for sarcoma treatment, you're in expert hands.
We care for people with primary and metastatic sarcoma.
We treat a full range of common and rare sarcomas, including:
- Bone/soft tissue sarcoma, which forms in soft tissues like blood vessels, muscle, or fat.
- Ewing sarcoma, a type of childhood cancer that forms in bone and soft tissues.
- Kaposi's sarcoma, which forms in the skin, mucus membranes, lymph nodes, skin, and other organs.
- Leiomyosarcoma, which forms in the smooth muscle cells of the body.
- Osteosarcoma, which forms in bone.
- Soft tissue sarcoma, which begins in supporting tissues of the body. These include muscle, fat, fibrous tissue, and blood vessels.
Our goal is to treat your cancer with minimal side effects so you can still live your life.
What Causes Sarcoma?
The cause of sarcoma is often unknown, but age and genetics seem to play a role in the disease.
Prior radiation treatment also increases your risk.
How Do You Treat Sarcoma at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center?
To achieve the best results, our experts offer state-of-the-art sarcoma care, including:
- Imaging tests and biopsies to diagnose sarcoma.
- Staging to design the best treatment plan. Stage 1 is the least advanced and Stage 4 is the most advanced.
- The latest surgical techniques to treat bone cancers.
- Chemotherapy before or after surgery, or to treat cancer that has spread to other organs.
- Targeted therapies where small molecules block the pathways that cancer cells use to survive and multiply.
Why Choose UPMC Hillman Cancer Center for Your Sarcoma Care?
Contact Us About Sarcoma Care
To learn more about sarcoma cancer care, call 833-317-8147. Or contact a UPMC Hillman Cancer Center near you.