Types of Gifts
Browse the types of gifts you can make to UPMC Hillman Cancer Center.
Memorial gifts, and gifts made in honor of family and friend(s) for birthdays, anniversaries or other notable occasions, are wonderful ways to show how much you care.
To give a donation in honor of or in memory of a loved one, please indicate your request in writing when you mail a donation to us. Please download our donation form or you may donate directly online to either support cancer research or to support patient care.
If you would prefer to have your gift support a more specific cancer research or patient service area, please contact our Development Office at 412-623-4700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please mail your donation (with donation form) to:
UPMC Cancer Pavilion, Suite 1B
5150 Centre Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
Example of obituary wording: "In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to UPMC Hillman Cancer Center. [If designated for a specific type of cancer research or program, please note this here]. Please mail to: Development Office, UPMC Cancer Pavilion, Suite 1B, 5150 Centre Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15232."
If you have any questions or if you would like to request a pre-addressed donation form and envelope, please call the Development Department at 412-623-4700 – we will be glad to help.
Endowment funds play a fundamental role in supporting and helping to advance the missions of UPMC Hillman Cancer Center. Endowment funds are permanent legacies that provide significant donor recognition as well as vital annual income in perpetuity for UPMC Hillman Cancer Center.
For more information on endowments, major gifts and other naming opportunities, please call our Development Office at 412-623-4700 or email email@example.com.
Creating endowed chairs has proven to be particularly effective in recruiting, supporting, and retaining top leadership in a medical discipline. Endowed chairs are cornerstones for an academic organization such as ours — an organization where individuals' careers encompass myriad responsibilities. For the individuals whom they support, endowed chairs lend prestige, visibility and, most importantly, greater flexibility for the chair-holders to rapidly achieve their goals.
The Bernard Fisher Endowed Chair in Surgical Oncology
Established in 1990 with a donation from the ICI Pharmaceutical Group.
David L. Bartlett, MD 2006-
The Claude Worthington Benedum Endowed Chair in Radiation Oncology
Established in 1990 by a gift from the University Radiotherapy Associations, Inc.
William D. Bloomer, MD 1990-1993
Joel S. Greenberger, MD 1993-
The Hillman Endowed Chair in Oncology
Established in 1993 with a gift from The Hillman Company.
Ronald B. Herberman, MD 1993- 2009
Nancy E. Davidson, MD 2009-2016
The Richard M. Cyert Endowed Chair in Molecular Oncology
Established in 1996 with a gift from the H.J. Heinz Company Foundation, in honor of Richard M. Cyert, PhD, a former President Emeritus and Professor of Economics and Management at Carnegie Mellon University. Dr. Cyert played a leadership role in increasing the awareness of the importance of private funding for cancer research.
Richard D. Wood, PhD 2001-2008
Bennett Van Houten, PhD 2008-
The Lawrence Ellis Endowed Chair in Hematology and Oncology
Established in 2000 with a gift from John F. and Rhodora J. Donahue to honor Lawrence Ellis, MD, who earned his degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine in 1958.
Donald L. Trump, MD 2000- 2002
The Giant Eagle Foundation Endowed Chair in Cancer Genetics
Established in 2003 by a donation from the Giant Eagle Foundation.
David C. Whitcomb, MD, PhD 2005-
The Sampson Family Endowed Chair in Thoracic Surgical Oncology
Established in 2004 by a gift from The J. Faye and Myles D. Sampson Family Foundation to support leadership in thoracic surgical oncology.
James D. Luketich, MD 2006-2007
Blair A. Jobe, MD 2010-2012
Arjun Pennathur, MD 2014-
The Arnold Palmer Endowed Chair in Cancer Prevention
Established in 2005 with a donation from the Arnold D. Palmer Charitable Trust to enable UPMC Hillman Cancer Center to continue to grow and thrive as an outstanding national leader in cancer prevention, early detection and risk assessment, believing that providing perpetual support for experts in those areas in a critical step forward in transforming cancer from a life-threatening disease into a non-life threatening, chronic and relatively manageable illness.
Emanuela Taioli, MD, PhD 2005-2008
Jian-Min Yuan, MD, PhD 2013-
UPMC Endowed Chair in Head and Neck Cancer Surgical Research
Established in 2005 with a donation from UPMC.
Jennifer R. Grandis, MD 2005- 2015
The Sandra and Thomas Usher Endowed Chair in Melanoma
Established in 2006 by a gift from Sandra and Thomas Usher to provide support for the University’s efforts in education and cancer research in melanoma.
John M. Kirkwood, MD 2006 -
UPMC Endowed Chair in Lung Cancer Research
Established in 2007 by a donation from UPMC to support innovative research, research fellows, and other key initiatives of UPMC Hillman Cancer Center.
Jill M. Siegfried, PhD 2007-2013
James G. Herman, MD 2016-
The Gregory T.H. Davies Endowed Chair in Brain Tumor Research and Physician Education
Established in 2004 in honor of Gregory T.H. Davies, the former Wabtec president and chief executive officer.
The Jane and Carl Citron Endowed Chair in Colon Cancer
Established in 2008 with a gift from Tamco, Inc. in honor of Jane and Carl Citron.
Kenneth K.W. Lee, MD 2008-
The Pittsburgh Foundation Endowed Chair in Innovative Cancer Research
Established in 2012 with gifts from a number of generous donors.
Patrick S. Moore, MD, MPH 2013-
UPMC Endowed Chair in Cancer Virology Research
Established in 2013 by a gift from UPMC.
Yuan Chang, MD 2013-
UPMC Endowed Chair in Cancer Prevention Research
Established in 2013 by a gift from UPMC.
Shivendra V. Singh, PhD 2014-
UPMC Endowed Chair in Advanced Oncological Head and Neck Surgery
Established in 2012 by a gift from UPMC.
Robert Ferris, MD, PhD 2014-
Stanley M. Marks, MD-OHA Endowed Chair in Hematology/Oncology Leadership
Established in 2016 by donations from physicians of the Oncology Hematology Association (OHA) in addition to UPMC.
Edward Chu, MD 2017
Family Legacy Society
Often, a personal experience with cancer or loss of a loved one to the disease spurs a family or others to establish funds that honor a patient or caregiver through support of continuing efforts to better detect, prevent, and treat cancer.
- Suzanne Hill Alfano Endowment for Lung Cancer Research
- Nathan S. Arenson Fund for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- Adriane R. Aul Memorial Fund
- The Keith F. Barket Mesothelioma Research Fund
- Beckwith Family Foundation Endowed Research Scholars Program
- Donald Blechman Lecture in Surgical Oncology
- The Heidi Browning Endowed Ovarian Cancer Research Scholars Fund
- Ruth C. Brufsky Fund for Clinical Research on Pancreatic Cancer
- Patti Burns Fund
- Al Copeland Memorial Fund for Merkel Cell Carcinoma Research
- Merrill J. Egorin MD Scholars Program
- Wayne Fusaro Pancreatic Cancer Research Fund
- Sadie Gerson Distinguished Visiting Scholar Program
- Stuart Goodman Brain Cancer Memorial Fund
- Peter E. Hackney Fund for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- Harvey G. Herberman, MD Memorial Cancer Research Fund
- Dr. George W. Hiett Foundation Fund
- Dr. Herbert E. Jacob Memorial Fund
- Hyman I. Katz Cancer Research Fund
- Barbara Klump Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Frank W. Knisley Memorial Fund
- Albert P. Knowles Research Fund
- David C. Koch Memorial Fund
- The Kramer-Neiderhiser Endowed Fund in Blood Cancer Research
- The Kramer-Neiderhiser Endowed Fund in Ovarian Cancer Research
- Mario Lemieux Patient Care and Cancer Research Fund
- Sally M. Levin Endowed Fund for Innovative Cancer Research
- Scott Limbach Entrepreneurial Center
- Robert J. Mann Memorial Fund
- Stanley M. Marks, MD Endowed Research Fund
- The Liliana Muhlmann Masoner Cancer Fund
- Drew Mathieson Entrepreneurship Fund
- James A. Mollica Jr. Research Endowment Fund
- Parada Family Liposarcoma Research Fund
- Michael J. Parada Research Fund
- Pasquerilla Cancer Genomics and Proteomics Research Fund
- Mark E. and Leah M. Pasquerilla Women's Cancer Research Fund
- PNC Innovation Fund
- Linda Saulle Endowed Memorial Fund
- Frieda G. and Saul F. Shapira BRCA Cancer Research Program
- The Spang Translational Research Core Facility
- Joseph and Giovanna Tarquinio Memorial Fund
- Edward Thaw Blood Research Fund
- Edward Underhill Memorial Fund for Colon Cancer Research
- Dr. Leonard S. Zombek Memorial Fund
These dedicated partners have given or helped to raise a cumulative total of $1 million or more in support of cancer research and care.
- American Cancer Society, Inc.
- Family and Friends of Nathan S. Arenson*
- Claude Worthington Benedum Foundation
- The Breast Cancer Research Foundation
- Susan and Alan Citron
- Carl Citron*
- DSF Charitable Foundation
- Flight Attendant Medical Research Institute
- Giant Eagle Foundation
- Theresa Heinz and The Heinz Endowments
- Harriett L. and Ronald B. Herberman, MD*
- Highmark Foundation
- Elsie H.* and Henry L. Hillman*
- Hillman Foundation
- Henry L. Hillman Foundation
- Family and Friends of Albert P. Knowles*
- New Era Cap Charitable Foundation and Family and Friends of David C. Koch*
- Susan G. Komen
- The Mario Lemieux Foundation
- The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- McCune Foundation
- James S. McDonnell Foundation
- The James W and Frances Gibson McGlothlin Foundation
- Richard King Mellon Foundation
- Metanexus Institute
- New Era Cap Foundation
- N.S.A.B.P. Foundation, Inc.
- The Tom W. Olofson Family Foundation
- Arnold D. Palmer 2003 Charitable Trust
- The Pittsburgh Foundation
- PNC Financial Services Group and PNC Foundation
- Myles D. Sampson* and Family
- The David S. and Karen A. Shapira Foundation
- The Shear Family Foundation
- Gayle Tissue and Riannis Kaloyeropoulos
- Sandra and Thomas Usher
- The V Foundation for Cancer Research
- Debi Wheeler
- Wheeler Family Charitable Foundation
- Pete Wheeler
To make a gift of appreciated securities (stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares), please inform your broker or bank and notify us of your intention by telephone at 412-623-4700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. A development officer can explain how easily the securities can be transferred to UPMC Hillman Cancer Center.
Securities held for more than a year are tax-deductible to the extent allowable by law and they may minimize capital gains liabilities.
Through planned or deferred gifts, you can offer a more substantial legacy than might be possible by making cash donations throughout your lifetime. Your deferred gift plays an important role in strengthening our research and clinical programs/services at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center. Planned gifts may be made in the form of bequests, life insurance, qualified retirement plans, or real estate. For more information, please call us at 412-623-4700, email email@example.com or visit The University of Pittsburgh's Gift Planning Center.
UPMC Hillman Cancer Center gratefully acknowledges planned gifts from the following individuals:
- Cheryl and Bruce A.* Americus
- C. Dale Cameron
- Helen and Donald E. Chrise*
- Alfred A. Dybeck
- Daniel Edelstone, MD
- Deborah S. Feckett Rhode
- Susan G. and Barney C. Guttman
- Harriett L. and Ronald B.* Herberman, MD
- J. Craig and Tracy G. Hill
- Margaret M. and Jack B. Hill, MD
- Sally E. and Peter S. Kay
- Eugene and Ruth Anne Klein
- Sarah and Ray Lamont
- George Meanor
- Ms. Anna Piocquidio
- Hilda M.* and Henry D. Sundermann Jr.
- Gayle Tissue and Yiannis Kaloyeropoulos
- Bonnie W. and Thomas L. VanKirk, Esq.
- Debi Wheeler
- Pete Wheeler
Corporate matching gifts count toward your contribution to UPMC Hillman Cancer Center and may significantly increase the value of your total gift.
For more information about matching gifts, contact the Development Office at 412-623-4700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gifts from corporations or foundations can provide critical support for our efforts to advance innovative research and patient care at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center.
Foundations or corporations may provide support for specific initiatives or make gifts that are unrestricted for cancer research or patient care — gifts that will support our most pressing needs and allow us the flexibility to expedite our pursuit of new clinical or scientific priorities.
For additional information about a foundation or corporate gift, contact the Development Office at 412-623-4700 or email email@example.com.
Spotlight on Corporate Giving
During the holiday season, CONSOL Energy staff members and executives donated their time and efforts to create a CONSOL Cares week at Hillman Cancer Center. They greeted patients and visitors on the ground floor and offered hot chocolate and cookies. Additionally, they handed out 450 goodie bags to patients to help them pass the time as they were being treated. CONSOL also generously renewed their annual donation to provide supplies for the CONSOL Comfort Cart.
In honor of Reid Ruttenberg’s 81st birthday, the Ruttenberg family and American Textile covered the parking expenses for patients during the week of March 6th. Staff members were also on hand to give away 1,500 pillows that had been donated by American Textile. They greeted patients and their visitors and were able to provide some comfort and ease to those coming through the Hillman Cancer Center. Both the patients, as well as the staff at Hillman, were grateful for the generosity shown by the Ruttenbergs and American Textile.
The United Way of Allegheny County is one of 1,400 local, independent United Way branches nationwide. Focusing on the greater Pittsburgh area's most critical needs, the United Way's directory of agencies includes numerous funds that support the UPMC Hillman Cancer Center research and patient care. Please refer to the following primary list of United Way designation codes to support UPMC Hillman Cancer Center. To donate online and to access the full list of programs you may donate to at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center, please visit their web site at the United Way of Allegheny County.
To ensure we can recognize your gift or pledge, please notify us directly at 412-623-4777.
United Way Designation Codes for UPMC Hillman Cancer Center
- Code 2331 — To support our most pressing cancer research needs
- Code 1285996 — To support our most pressing patient services, clinical care, and patient education needs