How Do I Become a Volunteer
Volunteer applicants must be 18 years of age or older. To apply, complete a UPMC volunteer application form.
Once your application is received, you will be contacted by the Volunteer and Community Services office to schedule an interview.
During the interview, we will discuss your interest in volunteering as well as placement opportunities that best match your skills, qualifications, and schedule with the volunteer opportunities currently available.
Thank you for agreeing to refer someone for a volunteer position with UPMC Hillman Cancer Center. Please complete this volunteer reference form so that we may make a decision on the applicant's ability to fulfill the responsibilities involved in our volunteer program. The information you supply will remain confidential. Thank you!
This orientation is to be completed after your interview and prior to starting your volunteer assignment.
You will be required to print certain documents to verify that you have completed this process. If you do not have access to a computer and printer, please let us know and we can assist in locating computer access for you.
Please follow the steps below to complete the online process:
- Review the Volunteer Orientation Presentation (PDF) and take the Orientation/Annual Review quiz.
- Review the Privacy Awareness Module and take the quiz at the end.
- Review the Bloodborne Pathogens Education Module and take the quiz at the end.
- For Patient and Family Volunteers: Information will be provided that is specific to your volunteer role.
- Volunteers who will be in a laboratory will be provided with information for additional training.
If you have any questions as you are completing the online process to become a volunteer, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at 412-623-4636. Otherwise, you will hear from us upon the completion of your file to start your volunteer opportunity.
Each year, UPMC, the Department of Health, The Joint Commission, and other governing bodies require that UPMC staff and volunteers complete annual mandatory training. This training is required annually to provide awareness of all current policies and procedures to ensure a safe environment.
If you have been notified by Volunteer and Community Services that you are due for your annual review, please follow the steps below to complete the annual review process by the due date that was given to you:
- Review the Privacy Awareness Module take the quiz and print and sign the Completion Certificate, provided at the end of the quiz.
- Complete the online Orientation/Annual Review quiz, take the quiz and print and sign the Completion Certificate, provided at the end of the quiz.
- Review the Bloodborne Pathogens Education Module take the quiz and print and sign the Completion Certificate, provided at the end of the quiz.
- Return the documents to the Volunteer and Community Services office via fax, email, or in person.
Note: If you do not have access to a computer or printer, please let us know so we can assist in locating computer access for you.
Contact UPMC Hillman Cancer Center Volunteer Services
- Volunteer Coordinator — 412-623-4636
- Director, Volunteer & Guest Services — 412-623-3478
- UPMC Hillman Cancer Center — 412-623-4000