Head and Neck Cancer Treatment Program at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center
Head and Neck Cancer Care at UPMC: Treating the Whole Person
At UPMC Hillman Cancer Center, we believe that the best head and neck cancer treatment begins with a focus on you.
We offer a range of support services that can help you feel more at ease and that can make your treatments more effective.
These services can help you and your loved ones manage head and neck cancer treatment and recovery:
- Behavioral medicine – psychologists and psychiatrists can help you make a plan to meet challenges of head and neck cancer.
- Nutrition for head and neck cancer — our nutrition experts can devise a diet plan to regain strength or support your health.
- Pain support — pain experts will work with your care team to manage pain from head and neck cancer treatment.
- Palliative care for head and neck cancer — this service helps improve the quality of life for people who no longer respond to curative treatments.
- Social support — social workers can help you manage the practical aspects of living with head and neck cancer.
- Interpreters — interpreters help global patients and others with language barriers discern the cancer treatment process.
Our Head and Neck Cancer Experts
Your head and neck cancer care team at UPMC Hillman combines the expertise of:
- Head and neck surgeons — surgeons who specialize in head and neck cancer.
- Medical Oncologists — doctors who treat cancer with drug therapy (chemotherapy or immunotherapy).
- Radiation Oncologists — Doctors that treat cancer with radiation (radiotherapy).
- Speech pathologists — experts who work with patients who have difficulty speaking or swallowing.
- Dental and maxillofacial surgeons — dentists and surgeons who treat oral conditions of the face, mouth, and jaw.
- Pathologists — doctors who analyzed the tissue to determine if cancer is present and if so what type of cancer a patient has
- Radiologists — doctors who read imaging studies (CT scans, MRI, etc.)
Find a head and neck cancer expert at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center.
Head and Neck Cancer Research at Hillman
UPMC Hillman Cancer Center Head and Neck Cancer Specialized Program of Research Excellence (SPORE) aims to improve the detection and treatment of head and neck and related cancers. The SPORE is a grant awarded by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) specifically to the UPMC Hillman Head and Neck Cancer Program.
We’re advancing the understanding, diagnosis, and treatment through our research programs and initiatives.
Learn more about head and neck cancer research at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center.
Award-Winning Cancer Care at UPMC Hillman
At UPMC Hillman Cancer Center, we commit to providing quality care.
Accredited, independent organizations recognize the excellence and high standards of our cancer care, including:
- QOPI Certification
- NCI Comprehensive Cancer Center
- U.S. News and World Report’s Best Hospitals
- Commission on Cancer (CoC)
Learn more about UPMC Hillman Cancer Center awards and recognition.
Head and Neck Cancer Specialty Care
Our multidisciplinary team of head and neck cancer experts provides special care for people who have advanced or metastatic cancers. We also see those who want a second opinion.
Learn more about Head and Neck Cancer Specialty Care.
Head and Neck Cancer Patient Stories
Other individuals have experienced head and neck cancer. Luckily, the experts at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center have guided them and their families through the treatment process.
Read Head and Neck Cancer Patient Stories