Stem Cell Transplant Doctors and Team
A stem cell transplant requires a highly skilled, multidisciplinary team working closely to keep track of every aspect of care. Communication and teamwork are crucial.
At UPMC Hillman Cancer Center, we include you — along with your loved ones — as part of the team.
Because our focus is on you, not just your blood cancer.
|Warren D. Shlomchik, MD
Co-Director of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant and Cell Therapy
Mounzer A. Agha, MD
Stem Cell Transplant Coordinators
When your doctor refers you for a stem cell transplant, you’ll meet with your transplant coordinator.
This member of your care team is a highly skilled nurse who has special training in stem cell transplant.
Your coordinator will serve as a resource throughout the entire stem cell transplant process, including:
- Inform you and your and family members on the transplant process.
- Organize all pre-transplant testing.
- Schedule stem cell collection or donor collection.
- Prepare for your hospital stay.
Pheresis is the stem cell collection process that filters the blood and pulls out the stem cells. The cells then go to the lab for processing and preservation.
After processing, the donor cells go to patient for infusion right away.
Inpatient Stem Cell Transplant Team
We provide inpatient stem cell transplant services at UPMC Shadyside. The state-of-the-art unit includes 28 single-patient rooms with high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filtration to optimize efficient, effective care.
Outpatient Stem Cell Transplant Team
The Mario Lemieux Center for Blood Cancers — found on the fourth floor of Hillman Cancer Center — provides outpatient stem cell transplant services.
This patient-friendly center offers comprehensive treatment for leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and other blood cancers and disorders.
The experts of the Stem Cell Transplant Program at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center provide exceptional care throughout your entire course of treatment.
- Counsels you on what to expect during stem cell transplant, including potential complications.
- Meets weekly to assess your progress.
- Maintains a relationship with your primary care doctor to coordinate treatment and follow-up care.
Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Lab (HSC Lab)
The HSC Lab provides production help for cellular therapies.
It processes, cryopreserves, and assists in the infusion of:
- Hematopoietic progenitor cell products.
- Therapeutic T-cell products.
- A range of other non-hematopoietic cellular products.
Contact Us About Stem Cell Transplant for Blood Cancer
To reach the Mario Lemieux Center for Blood Cancers, call 412-864-6600.