The Halcyon™ radiation therapy system is designed to deliver precise image-guided, volumetric, intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) up to four times faster than standard technology.
How Does the Halcyon Radiation Therapy System Work?
The Halcyon Radiation Therapy System delivers image-guided intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) or volumetric arc therapy (VMAT) up to four times faster than standard technology.
The system captures either two dimensional or cone-beam CT images for guidance in less than 15 seconds.
It also delivers varying —or modulating — intensities of radiation (in this case, high-energy x-rays) for cancer treatments that last about two minutes per session.
Halcyon Radiotherapy Treatment: What to Expect
If your radiation oncologist decides that Halcyon therapy is right for you, the team of radiation oncologists at Mary Hillman Jennings Oncology Center at UPMC Shadyside will:
- Use computer-generated images to custom-design your treatment plan
- Deliver a precise, tightly focused radiation dose that conforms to the shape of your tumor while minimizing impact on surrounding healthy tissue
The major benefit of Halcyon is its efficiency. Images can be acquired in less than 15 seconds, and treatment can be administered in about two minutes, minimizing your time on the table and optimizing the delivery of your treatment plan.
Halcyon also offers enhanced features for patient comfort, including:
- A wide bore
- Ambient lighting with the patient’s choice of color
- Brushless motors for nearly silent movements
- An enclosed gantry, so all rotation takes place within the machine itself, rather than externally around the patient
Where Can I Receive Halcyon Treatment?
Halcyon treatment is available at Mary Hillman Jennings Radiation Oncology Center at UPMC Shadyside and UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital.
To learn more about Halcyon and the other radiation oncology treatments at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center, please call us at 412-647-2811.
Halycon™ is a trademark of Varian Medical Systems.