What Is TrueBeam STx with Novalis Radiosurgery?
TrueBeam STx is an advanced linear accelerator and radiosurgery treatment system that allows doctors to target hard-to-reach tumors.
The machine uses cutting-edge imaging technology — called ExacTrac® — to capture images of your tumor, even when it moves during your natural breathing patterns. It uses these images to confirm that the radiation beams are always targeting your tumor.
And, because tumors aren't perfectly round, TrueBeam STx can alter the shape of the radiation beam to match the shape of your tumor. This may decrease the amount of radiation to healthy tissue that surrounds the tumor.
Types of Cancer We Treat with TrueBeam STx
At UPMC Hillman Cancer Center, we use the TrueBeam STx machine to treat the following cancers and other benign tumors:
TrueBeamSTx can also treat cancer that has spread, but still remains confined to one organ (oligometastasis).
Radiation Therapy Options Using TrueBeam STx
TrueBeam STx can perform many radiation treatments.
Your doctor, with your input, will decide on a treatment plan.
Depending on your type and stage of cancer, he or she may suggest one of the following treatments on the TrueBeam STx:
- Image-guided radiotherapy (IGRT)
- Intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT)
- RapidArc® and gated RapidArc radiotherapy
- Stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS), including:
- Fractionated stereotactic radiation therapy
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy
TrueBeam STx with Novalis Radiosurgery Benefits
Precise, real-time imaging of Novalis radiosurgery using TrueBeam STx allows for:
- More accurate radiation targeting and tracking of tumors, especially in hard-to-reach areas.
- Improved effectiveness of radiation treatment.
- Shorter treatment times.
- Fewer complications and side effects.
- More treatment options for people who aren't eligible for traditional surgery.
TrueBeam STx Treatment: What to Expect
Watch patient videos to see what to expect during treatment and to learn more about TrueBeam STx with Novalis radiosurgery treatments.
Truebeam Radiation Side Effects
Although radiation therapy is not painful, some people may experience uncomfortable side effects. Some of these side effects include:
- Swelling at the treatment site
Consult your doctor to find out what you can expect from your treatment and if TrueBeam radiotherapy is right for you.
Contact Us About TrueBeam STx Treatment at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center
To learn more about TrueBeam STx or other radiation oncology treatments at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center, please call us at 412-647-2811.